Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Just finished painting the backdrop mountains and hills in the area I am calling New Utrecht.

The rock face mountain that is in the corner and that will sit behind the coal mine is a work in progress.  The structure is completed so the next step is to add some rock outcroppings, foliage and trees.

I wanted to recreate the look of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  These are "old" mountains and are rounded at their peaks.  What I wound up with looks like the Appalachian Mountains mated with Grand Teton Mountain.

Here is a photograph I took from the about 5,000 foot level on Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina.  It is around sunset and overlooks the Blue Ridge.


Here are a few images of the completed backdrop painting.  The big, gray rock looking thing is the mountain that will be behind the coal mine.




Nine layers of 2" pink XPS foam covered in plaster cloth and then stained with a black latex wash.  A taupe wash was dry brushed over this to start to bring out the highlights.

After this I will be building the area of Fort Greene.  Carl 3D printed the Prison Ship Martyrs Monument that will go in Fort Greene Park.  It looks great.  I will post photos of it with my next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment