Thursday, March 19, 2020

I forgot to mention how I came up with the name for the railroad.

Originally I planned to model the New York Central Water Level Route.  If you are familiar with NY Central motive power you would probably consider it fairly mundane except for the 4-6-4 Hudson and the big 4-8-4 Niagara.  At one time they had a triplex but that was a one off.

The Pennsylvania Railroad had some unique steam power with their duplexes and a big steam turbine.  In the late sixties the NY Central and the Pennsy merged to form the PennCentral which eventually met its demise and became part of Conrail and Amtrak.

One day I was reading through a copy of Great Model Railroads and saw an article about a Union Pacific layout that spanned the 1930's to the late 1960's.  The UP had some truly unique steam and diesel power.

So now I decide that I would freelance a railroad spanning 1930's to 1969 based on a fictitious merger between the NY Central, the Pennsy and the UP.  I could run Niagaras and Hudsons pulling passenger trains and duplexes, Big Boys, eight axle diesels, gas turbines and a steam turbine pulling heavy freight.

The catch is that none of this will run or look good on curves smaller than about a 30 inch radius.  So my layout needed a minimum radius curve of 36 inches on the main line.

So now I have to build a model that spans a continent.  Lots of scenic opportunities but little reality.

Well hey, its my railroad.  Who needs locations like New York, Cheyenne, Los Angeles, Sherman Hill and Horseshoe Bend?  I certainly do not.

Locations will include Gravesend, Fort Green, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Flatbush, Bay Ridge and Fuhgeddaboudit (I will explain Fuhgeddaboudit in another post).  These are all names of neighborhoods in Brooklyn, New York where I grew up.  Except for Fuhgeddaboudit.

Hey, its my railroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment