Wednesday, March 18, 2020

March 19, 2020

Starting Point January 8, 2018

We moved into our house on Dec. 31, 2016.  The house had a very large unfinished basement in which I could build my empire.  Additionally the HVAC systems and water heaters were set along a side wall and not centrally located as in most houses.  Lousy for heating, cooling and waiting for the hot water to get where you want it but great for a model railroad.

My wife is a photographer and needed a studio and the basement was the perfect location for one.  It also is a walkout with direct access to the gardens behind our house.

After space negotiations we divided up the basement between photo studio, train room and a combination photo client reception area and train crew lounge.

By the end of 2017 the basement was finished and I could start work on the railroad.  A few pics of the room on Jan. 8, 2018.  Long and narrow - 14 ft. x 41 ft.  Note the multiple waste pipes that must be turned into scenic elements.





This last image shows the "rotisserie".  I got this idea from a Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine online post.  If I built the railroad in sections and mounted the sections on the rotisserie I could minimize time under the layout.  By rotating the section I could work on top and bottom sitting or standing.



March 18, 2020

I should start this blog off with a question that I have been asking myself.

Why would a 71 year old man want to start a multi-decade project?

I started asking myself that question two years ago when I first launched this model railroad construction project.  I have come up with several answers that read like the answers to a multiple choice question.  There are no wrong answers.

A.  I believe I have an abundance of longevity genes.
B.  It is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid.
C.  I have finally negotiated to obtain space from "The Management".
D.  I need to do something with all that stuff I have been collecting for the last 25 years.
E.  "The Management" has told me I need to do something with all that stuff I have been collecting for the last 25 years.

"The Management" (a.k.a. wonderful wife) has actually been quite understanding through all this and encouraged me to go for it.

I have images from the start of construction in early 2018 that I will start posting along with descriptions of the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment